Take Action Now
Changing the world doesn’t happen overnight, it is a process. It takes many caring, committed, and passionate individuals just like YOU to cast the first stone. Here are just a few of the infinite ways in which you can start making lasting changes within yourself and the world around you.
- Sign up (using the email signup box to your right!) to stay connected with Woman Centered and get your FREE Woman Centered Action Sheet.
- Share Woman Centered with your friends, family, co-workers, and social media networks. The more women know about Woman Centered the more change we can effect! Email, Facebook, and Twitter.
- Speak your mind, make your voice heard – be a blog post contributor! Write for the Woman Centered blog. Contact us for more information!
- Partner with Woman Centered for Your Next Big Event! Are you looking to take your girls night out to the next level? Sponsoring a corporate event and looking for a speaker or a dynamic workshop? Hosting a fundraiser and would like Woman Centered to participate? Contact us for more details.
- Be a changemaker – DIY social change now! Think you can’t change the world, think again! With a few small steps, you too can create impactful change within yourself, your community, and the world around you.
Do you have a few minutes? You can…
- Start a petition. Check out change.org to start a petition to change something you and others think is unjust, unfair, and down-right harmful. Be the change you wish to see in the world!
- Share it on social media. Twitter, Facebook, YouTube are just a few of the ways we are connected with one another locally and globally in our digital world. Sign up and make your voice heard about causes you care about!
- Phone a friend. Call a friend, family member, business owner, or local politician to share your views on how to make your family, community, neighborhood, school district a better place. Your voice matters! Check out these websites to learn who is your State Representative and Senator.
- Leave a note and shower the world with kindness! Check out Random Acts of Kindness, Operation Beautiful, Guerilla Goodness, or create your own! Keep a pad of post-it notes and pen in your bag and share the love whenever and wherever you feel inspired.
- Give a microloan. They make a world of a difference. For more information in how to support a woman, her family, and community in need check out Kiva.org, Women’s World Banking, or Accion.
Do you have a couple of hours? You can…
- Start a blog! Check out these FREE platforms such as Blogger, Tumblr, and Word Press. Write about something you care about and share it with the world! Not sure how to write a blog post? Visit Social Trigger’s The Perfect Blog Post.
- Watch a film or new video on a topic that you care to speak out about and write a blog post on your new blog (or as a guest blogger on someone else’s blog!) For film ideas check out Independent Lens, Hulu, Snag Films, and TED Talks.
- Give thanks to a friend, parent, teacher, mentor, student, or anyone you think needs a heartfelt thank you, for inspiring you to be who you are today. Write them a note, take them out for a cup of coffee, or make a donation in their honor.
- Lace up your sneakers and walk for a cause. Be it a local 5k walk or run, choose your cause – AIDS walk, 3 day breast cancer walk, or Parkinsons – Fitness Magazine gives you some examples of walks to take.
- Donate your birthday, anniversary, birth of a child, wedding, or any special event! You can register your event with organizations such as Charity Water, Heifer International, Registry Rebellion, or One Day’s Wages.
- Because sometimes you just need a little retail therapy – shop for a cause. Check out these brands that give back – PeaceKeeper Cause-metics, Toms Shoes, Red, or Ten Thousand Villages, and so many more!
Do you have a few days? You can…
- Host a book club! Dive into books that open your eyes to the oppressions, injustices, resilience, and potential in the world around us. For ideas check out Good Reads, Ms. Magazine Blog, or the resource section of Woman Centered.
- Have a free morning or afternoon? Volunteer with a local community-based organization, homeless shelter, school, girls clubs, or hospital. Need help making a match? Check out idealist.org, Volunteers of America, Red Cross, or Volunteer Match.
- Are you filming a documentary? Building a health clinic? Raising money for communities ravaged by natural disaster? Fundraising is a fantastic way to effect change! Check out Kickstarter, Crowdrise, or Indigogo.
- Spark a revolution with your skill savvy at sparked.com. Share your skills and talents with businesses making a difference!
- Organize a protest, lobby, or campaign in your school, neighborhood, or state/country capital! Get to know your senators or representative. Check out DoSomething.org.
Do you have a month or two? You can…
- Volunteer vacations – whether in your own back yard or across the ocean, see the world while giving back! Check out the book Volunteer Vacations and visit idealist.org, and Habitat for Humanity.
- Consider an internship or fellowship to expand your mind and make a change. Check out idealist.org, Teach for America, Peace Corps, Americorps.
- Volunteer in your community though local literacy organizations, homeless shelters, hospitals, nursing homes, AIDS service organizations, etc. Check out Volunteer Match for local opportunities.
Do you have a lifetime? You can…
- Consider a career in public service such as social work, medicine, public health, international development, nursing, midwifery, etc. With many of these skills you can join Doctor’s Without Borders.
- Start a non-profit organization! Learn more at the Foundation Center.
- Smile. “Peace begins with a smile.” – Mother Theresa
Remember, these are just a few of the thousands of resources to help you along your journey. If you have suggestions for more resources and action steps, email to let us know!
If you like this these ideas, please pass them along! Email, tweet, or share on Facebook! Spreading the love is much appreciated.